UTM have been involved in the semi-professional workforce since its inception more than 100 years ago. These programmes are very dynamic and revision will be made from time to time in line with the human resource requirements of the nation. Before 1995, diploma programmes were under the administration of the engineering and built environment faculties. In June 1995, a new entity named Diploma Programme Studies was established to offer all these programmes at UTM Kuala Lumpur, a branch campus of UTM. On 15 May 2005, we were called College of Science and Technology (CST), aimed to produce trained semi-professionals who are skilled and knowledgeable in various focus area ranging from engineering, built environment, computer science and management technology. In the early years, CST has eight diploma programmes with total enrollment of 4600 students and presently, it offers 16 diploma programmes. Beginning 1 June 2010, all diploma programmes are administered by UTMSPACE, a dynamic faculty in UTM which has successfully managed programmes and professional courses according to market needs. These programmes are conducted on full time basis.
The UTM diploma programmes offered are listed below:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Land Surveying
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering (Power)
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering (Mechatronic)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Quantity Surveying
- Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning
- Diploma in Property Management
- Diploma in Technology Management
- Diploma in Computer Science (Information Technology)
- Diploma in Computer Science (Multimedia)
Some of these programmes are also conducted in private colleges which have been given permission by UTM to run on full-time basis under the operation of the Joint Programme Unit of UTMSPACE. Some of these programmes are conducted on part-time basis under the operation of Part-time Programme Unit of UTMSPACE. Quality and academic management for both units are examined and assured by PPD since the diploma will be awarded by UTM.